A practical workshop to help staff:
- Understand the value of strategic planning
- Know the difference between strategic planning and operational plans and/or financial plans
- Think strategically
- Identify how they could use some of the techniques used in strategic planning at their level of the organization
- Align their plans with those of senior management
The need to create strategy and its effective implementation has never been greater. But in this world of unprecedented change, it's hard to ensure that your plans will produce tangible results.
This workshop will help participants understand the strategic planning process. Participants will learn how to connect planning with action so that the vision is lived on a daily basis throughout the organization.
The workshop combines small group work, simulations and case studies to help participants refine their approach to thinking strategically.
LENGTH OF PROGRAM
By the end of this workshop the participants will:
- Understand the key components of strategic planning;
- Know and understand the steps needed to create a strategic plan;
- Begin to think strategically;
- Learn how to apply strategic planning principles in their own work area;
- Be able to create a vision, mission and measurement system for their organization;
- Scan their environment - internal and external - objectively;
- Benchmark their performance to identify gaps and opportunities;
- Involve people to improve buy-in to the process and implementation;
- Plan to have significant changes made to their organization.
- What is Strategic Planning?
- What Strategic plans are designed to do.
- How Strategic Planning differs from operational plans.
- A model for Strategic Planning.
- Discussion of key elements.
- Planning to plan.
- Membership of the team.
- Building ownership.
- Time horizons.
- Making the Strategic Plan a living document.
- Research alternatives.
Research, analysis and planning
- Scanning the environment: key elements.
- Benchmarking your performance: who, how, when and where.
- Forward thinking: developing your vision.
- Deciding on your daily focus: creation of your mission.
- Developing a business model for success.
- Evaluation of your operations using a building blocks approach.
- How to do a gap analysis.
- Knowing if you're making progress: the importance of measurement.
- Using a Balanced Scorecard to set goals and monitor progress.
- Transforming intentions to action: the final plan.
- Aligning your plans with those of senior management.